FI 2021-2022 University Worth Fighting For Events
THE UNIVERSITY WORTH FIGHTING FOR is a series of events sponsored by the Futures Initiative in which we advocate for a transformation of higher education, prioritizing core values of equity and social justice. Over the past year, we held two well-attended online events aimed at empowering students at various stages of their educational paths.
- Dissertation to First Book
- During the fall semester, the Futures Initiative hosted a sold-out discussion with Senior Executive Editor of Duke University Press, Ken Wissoker, in which he discussed the process of transforming a PhD Dissertation into a book.
- To read the full recap of this event, see this post by Nik Valdez: https://2022.futuresinitiative.org/blog/2021/11/02/dissertation-to-first-book-with-ken-wissoker-recap/.
- Is Graduate School for Me?
- During the spring semester, our fellows hosted an event for undergraduate students who are considering graduate school. The event consisted of a panel of fellows which answered questions posed by our CUNY Peer Leaders, and then break-out groups for discussion of specific topics.
- To read the full recap of this event, see this post by Dasharah Green: https://2022.futuresinitiative.org/blog/2022/04/04/uwf-event-is-graduate-school-for-me-recap/.
- This year we were proud to host another exciting showcase for our Lennihan grant recipients. On November 11th, 2021, the grant recipients presented on the projects that were supported by our research grants, generously funded by Curtis Wong.
To read a full recap of this event, see this post by Silvia Rivera Alfaro. https://www.hastac.org/blogs/silvia-rivera-alfaro/2021/12/13/thinking-feeling-louise-lennihan-arts-and-sciences-grant